Connect with us

World News

Report: Hong Kong Police Are Randomly Arresting Bystanders At Protests

Published

on

Innocent people being held prisoner for days

A report in the South China Morning Post Monday claimed that the Hong Kong police in cracking down on demonstrations are grabbing innocent bystanders and arresting them without due process.

The report notes that the police are accusing people who are there to document the events, or even just observing, of participating in “unlawful assemblies.”

The Post notes that in some cases people are being imprisoned for days without being granted legal counsel:

Among those affected was former marine police officer and retired pilot Jan Bochenski, 62, who was arrested earlier this month for joining an “unlawful assembly” in Sai Wan, his own neighbourhood.

He said he spent 30 hours in custody and had to wait for four hours to phone his wife and another four hours before he could speak to his lawyer despite multiple requests to officers.

Bochenski says that police were acting like a curfew had been imposed, regardless of the fact that no order was ever given:

“There were young people, a pizza delivery boy, an Indian chef in his uniform, a mother and her son – normal people you see on a Sunday night walking down this area … there is no curfew, how can it be an unlawful assembly?” Bochenski said, adding that he was taken away after officers confirmed he was not a tourist.

He was then left standing for hours in a cell shared with 14 other detainees in Cheung Sha Wan Police Station. Bochenski, who said he was the first of those held to ask to make a phone call to his family and a lawyer, was only able to meet his lawyer at 4.30am. He said the lawyer had been sitting in the station waiting for hours. His other request to speak to the British consulate was ignored.

Several lawyers recalled similar experiences and said officers appeared reluctant to cooperate in some cases.

Further accounts from people on the ground have suggested that police are cracking down on journalists, including Americans, taking photos of the events.

Hong Kong police have claimed that protesters are causing violence, and that officers are showing restraint.

“I must emphasize the officers demonstrated great restraint. Their use of force was indeed necessary and reasonable. It was to protect any person, including our officers themselves, from death or serious bodily injury,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police Operations Mak Chin Ho on Monday.

World News

New National Security Advisor Once Said U.S. Could Take Losing 20 Million People in a Nuclear War

“I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed.”

Published

on

John Bolton’s interim replacement as National Security Advisor, Charles Kupperman, once said that the United States could take losing 20 million people in a nuclear war.

Many reacted to Bolton’s dismissal by breathing a sigh of relief that the warhawk was gone, but his temporary successor is certainly no peacenik.

During an interview with with journalist Robert Scheer in 1982, Kupperman said the U.S. could ‘win’ a nuclear war at the expense of a mere 20 million deaths.

“If the objective in a war is to try to destroy as many Soviet civilians and as many American civilians as is feasible, and the casualty levels approached 150 million on each side, then it’s going to be tough to say you have a surviving nation after that,” he said. “But depending on how the nuclear war is fought, it could mean the difference between 150 casualties and 20 million casualties. I think that is a significant difference, and if the country loses 20 million people, you may have a chance of surviving after that… I think it is possible to win… [if] it is clear after the war that one side is stronger than the other side, [then] the weaker side is going to accede to the demands of the stronger side.”

Kupperman went on to say that it would only take 15 years to rebuild society under such a scenario.

One hopes his successor doesn’t sound like from Gen. Buck Turgidson from the Dr. Strangelove, who said virtually the exact same thing in the movie.

“Mr. President, I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.”

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

Follow on Twitter:

———————————————————————————————————————

My voice is being silenced by free speech-hating Silicon Valley behemoths who want me disappeared forever. It is CRUCIAL that you support me.

Please sign up for the free newsletter here. Donate to me on SubscribeStar here.

Support my sponsor – Turbo Force – a supercharged boost of clean energy without the comedown.

———————————————————————————————————————

Continue Reading

World News

China Warns Trump Not to Believe Warhawk “Conspiracy Theories” That Iran Was Behind Attack on Saudi Arabia

Cautions that revenge attack on Iran could cause Middle East to “spiral out of control.”

Published

on

China has warned President Trump that he is being manipulated by warhawks into believing “conspiracy theories” that Tehran was behind the attack on Saudi oil facilities and that any “revenge attack” on Iran could cause the Middle East to “spiral out of control.”

The warning was contained in an editorial posted by the Global Times, which is widely recognized as a Communist Party mouthpiece.

A drone strike against two Saudi oil facilities by Houthi rebels on Saturday took out 5% of the world’s oil supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo immediately blamed Tehran for the attack.

In the Global Times piece, Beijing asserts that there is no evidence Iran was responsible and that, “US military revenge against Iran will lead the Middle East to spiral out of control.”

The article also blames the Trump administration for being the “least interested in easing the disputes in the Middle East” out of all previous administrations and hyping “conspiracy theories” that the attack was carried out with the aid of Iran.

“Despite (John) Bolton’s departure, Trump is still being surrounded by hawks that control US military might and are eager to flex their muscles,” warns the piece, adding that despite Trump being largely against foreign interventionism, “Certain forces in the US are pushing Washington to use military power.”

The editorial says Trump has “forgotten the lessons of the two wars waged by George Bush’s administration,” which ended in abject failure.

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

Follow on Twitter:

———————————————————————————————————————

My voice is being silenced by free speech-hating Silicon Valley behemoths who want me disappeared forever. It is CRUCIAL that you support me.

Please sign up for the free newsletter here. Donate to me on SubscribeStar here.

Support my sponsor – Turbo Force – a supercharged boost of clean energy without the comedown.

———————————————————————————————————————

Continue Reading

World News

Trump Once Chided Saudi Arabia For Demanding Protection From U.S.

Now fully supports it with no strings attached following drone strike.

Published

on

Despite indicating that his administration may attack Iran over a drone strike on Saudi oil facilities by Houthi rebels, President Trump once ridiculed the idea of offering Saudi Arabia U.S. protection without Riyadh paying for it.

Following Saturday’s drone strike, which took out 5% of the world’s oil supply, Trump tweeted that the White House was “waiting to hear from the Kingdom as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed.”

Despite Tehran’s denial, U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo blamed Iran for the attack.

Trump’s willingness to use U.S. forces to defend the interests of Saudi Arabia is at odds with his position in the run up to his presidential campaign, when he repeatedly questioned why America should be defending Saudi Arabia in return for nothing.

“We are getting ready to protect Saudi Arabia against Iran & others-sending ships. How much are they going to pay us toward this protection,” he tweeted in April 2015.

In another tweet two months later, Trump remarked, “Saudi Arabia should be paying the United States many billions of dollars for our defense of them. Without us, gone!”

Back in 2014, Trump also accused Saudi Arabia of funding ISIS.

Trump campaigned on a platform of not getting America entangled in more pointless, costly Middle Eastern quagmires.

What changed?

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

Follow on Twitter:

———————————————————————————————————————

My voice is being silenced by free speech-hating Silicon Valley behemoths who want me disappeared forever. It is CRUCIAL that you support me.

Please sign up for the free newsletter here. Donate to me on SubscribeStar here.

Support my sponsor – Turbo Force – a supercharged boost of clean energy without the comedown.

———————————————————————————————————————

Continue Reading

Trending