Connect with us

censorship

Dem Senator Pushed For Censorship of ‘The Donald’ Before it Was Quarantined by Reddit

Ron Wyden told Reddit CEO forum was “inciting hatred” on June 5.

Published

on

Democratic Senator Ron Wyden pushed for the censorship of ‘the Donald’ subreddit just weeks before it was ‘quarantined’ by Reddit.

As we reported on Wednesday, Reddit quarantined the forum, which is often a pre-cursor to a total ban, claiming that comments inciting violence had not been deleted promptly enough by moderators.

Moderators hit back by claiming they were doing everything to delete comments which broke TOS as quickly as possible.

Now it has emerged that Wyden pressured Reddit CEO Steve Huffman to censor the Donald by claiming the forum was “inciting the hatred that is eroding our democracy”.

The remark was made by Wyden during a joint AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Huffman on June 5.

Wyden followed up by saying, “it would be good to see Mr. Huffman and Reddit to do more work to moderate such behavior”.

null

Huffman responded by asserting that the Donald was being watched closely and that Reddit takes “cues from the government when we think about our policies”.

The Donald was put in quarantine three weeks later.

The fact that Democratic lawmakers were calling for the Donald to be censored before it happened mirrors what happened to Infowars before it was deplatformed by Big Tech last year.

The Donald is a hugely influential Internet forum with around 767,000 subscribers

A 2018 study by researchers at University College London found that the most “effectively spread memes” originated on r/the_donald.

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

Follow on Twitter:

———————————————————————————————————————

There is a war on free speech. Without your support, my voice will be silenced.

Please sign up for the free newsletter here. Donate to me on SubscribeStar here.

Support my sponsor – Turbo Force – a supercharged boost of clean energy without the comedown.

———————————————————————————————————————

Continue Reading
Comments

censorship

FBI Profiler Says Banning People on Social Media Makes it Harder to Fight Terrorism

Deprives authorities of being able to track people’s activities.

Published

on

Samuel Corum via Getty Images

A former FBI profiler told NBC News that banning people on social media makes it harder to fight terrorism because it stops authorities from being able to keep track of their activity.

The remark was made in the context of a report about one of the individuals who stormed the Capitol building earlier this month – 70-year-old Lonnie Coffman.

Coffman drove a pickup truck to the protest filled with Molotov cocktails and other weapons including improvised grenades and an assault rifle, but flew completely under the radar because he had no social media presence.

The individual had no criminal record, no known extremist ties and not a single person in the town of Falkville where Coffman lived knew who he was.

“Coffman’s statements to police following his arrest and some writings found inside his truck indicate he was struggling financially and fixated on right-wing views,” states the report.

According to Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI criminal profiler, Coffman’s example proves that “the purging of people with radical views from popular social platforms, which has escalated in recent weeks, deprives investigators of a crucial tool in tracking people who might move along the continuum of ideation to action.”

“We know there are going to be guys out there that are not happy over the next four years with the Biden administration,” Van Zandt said.

“The authorities really have got their work cut out for them to identify Ted Kaczynski-type individuals who are sitting out there planning to make a difference in the world,” he added.

Despite the obvious outcome that mass social media censorship doesn’t extinguish extremism, it merely drives it underground and makes it harder to track, the media once again united after the Capitol building attack to call for mass censorship.

After three years of intense social media banning, deplatforming and blacklisting, political extremism on both sides only appears to have worsened.

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

Follow on Twitter:

———————————————————————————————————————

ALERT!

null

New limited edition merch now available! Click here.

In the age of mass Silicon Valley censorship It is crucial that we stay in touch.

I need you to sign up for my free newsletter here.

Support my sponsor – Turbo Force – a supercharged boost of clean energy without the comedown.

Also, I urgently need your financial support here.

———————————————————————————————————————

Continue Reading

censorship

Lobby Group Sues Apple To REMOVE Telegram From App Store For Allowing ‘Hate Speech’

Warns ‘extremists’ are set to “migrate to Telegram” after Parler was successfully purged

Published

on

Steve Watson

Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images

A lobbyist group is suing Apple in an effort to get free speech messaging platform Telegram removed from the app store, claiming that it allows ‘extremists’ to spread ‘hate speech’.

Telegram has seen a surge in users since Twitter and Facebook permanently suspended President Trump. Last week the service gained more than 25 million new users in just 72 hours, taking the total users to over 500 million.

The platform promotes itself as a service that believes in free speech and a strong privacy ethic, often polarising itself from the likes of Facebook owned Watts App and Microsoft owned Skype.

Now, amid calls for the platform to be restricted, lobby group The Coalition for a Safer Web has called for it to be completely deleted from big tech app stores.

In particular, the group has filed a lawsuit against Apple, alleging that it has failed to hold Telegram accountable for violating its terms of service.

The complaint, filed in the US District Court for Northern California, accuses Telegram of allowing anti-Semites, neo-nazis and white supremacists to use the platform to foment hate.

“Telegram currently serves as the preferred neo-Nazi/white nationalist communications channel, fanning anti-Semitic and anti-black incitement during the current wave of protests across America,” the lawsuit claims.

It also states that ‘extremists’ are set to “migrate to Telegram” in bigger numbers following Apple, Google and Amazon’s attempts to wipe Parler off the internet completely.

The lawsuit further alleges that Telegram “is currently being used to coordinate and incite extreme violence before the inauguration of President [-elect] Joe Biden.”

The Coalition for a Safer Web’s President, Marc Ginsberg, who is a former US ambassador to Morocco and deputy senior adviser to the US president on Middle East Policy, has claimed that “By continuing to host Telegram on the Apple App Store, [the] defendant (Apple) facilitates religious threats against him and his family that has caused Ambassador Ginsberg to fear for his life.”

The lawsuit points to the purging of Parler as a precedent, noting that “Apple has not taken any action against Telegram comparable to the action it has taken against Parler to compel Telegram to improve its content moderation policies.”

The group, which also has a Council on Foreign Relations executive, a former Chairman of the RNC, and a former Homeland Security chief on its advisory board, is also said to be preparing a lawsuit against Google for the same purpose of targeting Telegram.

While Telegram has positioned itself against the big tech behemoths, it has made efforts to remove ‘neo-Nazi’ channels from its platforms in recent months.

Meanwhile, Parler reemerged on the internet Sunday, after Amazon unceremoniously wiped it from its hosting servers.

Parler Chief Executive John Matze posted a message on Paler.com asking “Hello world, is this thing on?”

“Now seems like the right time to remind you all – both lovers and haters – why we started this platform,” Matze further wrote, adding. “We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media.”

“Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both. We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish,” he further noted.

However, the site now appears to be offline again.

It appears that Parler is now being hosted by Epik, the company that also hosts Twitter alternative Gab and messageboard 8chan.

Epik has stated that it disagrees with big tech moves to purge the likes of Parler, noting “It is becoming increasingly easy to demonize anyone who has different beliefs with no recognition of the actual effects and impact this can have on society.”

The company’s statement immediately led to calls for it to be targeted for annihilation, along with other hosting companies that are refusing to go along with mass censorship on the internet. 

The end point of the ongoing purge seems clear, a completely censored internet dominated and controlled by unregulated big tech elites, where only ‘acceptable’ opinions cans be accessed and shared.

Removing neo-Nazi and terrorist channels is one thing, however when that encompasses blanket banning everyone else along with them, and completely removing platforms and websites, free speech no longer exists.

Continue Reading

censorship

Tucker: Capitol Events Being Used By Extremists To Eradicate Free Speech

“It is about controlling you, and the country you thought was yours, forever.”

Published

on

Steve Watson

Screenshot

Tucker Carlson warned Thursday that a narrative full of lies in regards to the events at the US Capitol is being used to “justify the most sweeping crackdown on civil liberties and free speech in the history of this country.”

“Last week’s deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol was not an act of racism, nor was it an insurrection,” Carlson noted during a monologue, adding “It was not an armed invasion by a brigade of dangerous White supremacists. Those are lies.”

“Why are they demanding that you believe those lies?” Carlson asked viewers.

The host noted that while “The riot was the perfect illustration of why we should oppose all mob action…instead, [Washington elites] are trying to use this moment to increase their own power, so they’re lying about what you saw.”

“They’re calling it a precisely orchestrated coup attempt. They’re telling you the Chewbacca guy you saw on video, the guy with the painted face and the Viking hat, was actually the leader of some super secret commando unit here to overthrow our government,” Carlson emphasised.

“It’s absurd and insulting, yet it’s working,” Tucker urged, adding “What happened last week is being used to justify the most sweeping crackdown on civil liberties and free speech in the history of this country.”

In a reference to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s leaked instructions to his employees, Carlson went on to explain that “this is much bigger than silencing just one man, and it’s going to go on much longer than just this week.”

“Maybe Jack Dorsey isn’t so bright. He just admitted out loud with the rest of them are still denying: This isn’t really about Donald Trump, and it never was. It’s definitely not about what happened last week at the Capitol,” Carlson proclaimed.

“It is about controlling you, and the country you thought was yours, forever,” he added, noting tongue in cheek “Sorry, there’s a national crisis going on and we have no choice.”

Reports continue to emerge on what really went down at the Capitol, yet Democrats continue to mould the narrative in an effort to justify eradicating their political opposition, while big tech and the corporate media are embracing the narrative as a means of wiping out their competition.

Continue Reading

Trending